Minestra di Minestrone - An Italian vegetable extravaganza which is just perfect for damp and cold days. Warm and satisfying, this Minestrone recipe is fantastic every day of the year!
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 cup julienne carrots
- 1 tsp minced garlic, about 1 clove
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 28 oz. petite diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1 can red beans
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
Saute onion, green pepper, celery, carrots and garlic in olive oil and butter.
Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer 1 hour.
(crush or puree half the 28 oz can of tomatoes - about 14 oz. diced and 14 oz. crushed.)
Make sure to garnish with lots of Parmesan cheese!
Here is a print friendly version of this recipe.